Wednesday, September 17, 2008

How to Cook Everything - Mark Bittman

Like the Joy of Cooking - only hip. I love the Joy of Cooking (I have the 1975 edition), but I find I use it almost exclusively for baking. The main dishes are too heavy or bland or roasted for my taste. How to Cook Everything has a much more modern feel - it has stir fries, and curries, and pad thai, and Italian food. Encyclopedic (as one would hope), with great illustrations to explain techniques, hundreds of useful lists, variations of many basic recipes, and an accessible tone. Mark Bittman speaks so highly of food processors in this book that I bought one, and I've been using it like mad. I love his section on bread and pie crusts - I'd never made either one before in my life - and now I feel pretty competent. My new favorite cookbook - I've been using it for several months.

If you look on Amazon, you'll see several books on this theme: How To Cook Everything: The Basics or How to Cook Everything: Vegetarian. My understanding is that these are just subsets of the main book, so just get the main book.

You should also check out the New York Times for Mark Bittman's excellent column, The Minimalist, and his blog, Bitten.

How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
Mark Bittman
1998
Available from Amazon - a new edition comes out in October

No comments: